Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dinner for One

Most nights, I enjoy cooking. I love the sound of knives chopping against a cutting board and of vegetables slowly simmering in a pan. I relish the time in the kitchen preparing dinner; it relaxes me.

Tonight was not one of those nights.

After a long day at the 9-5 and a workout, I was hungry with a capital H and wanted something quick and satisfying. While the boy sat through an evening work meeting, I was left to fend for myself. Although I've been blessed with the least picky eater in the world to feed on a nightly basis, there are certain meals that I save for nights when I only have to please my taste buds.

Tonight was one of those nights.

This meal was inspired by a recipe for Spicy Black Beans and Zucchini from Green Lite Bites. I've made this recipe dozens of times, but each time I make it, I do it a little differently depending on what I have on hand. Some nights I make the recipe pretty mild, and some nights I make it spicy.

Tonight was one of those nights.

I bulked up the recipe with an extra zucchini and onion. I added extra spices for kick, a 1/2 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, and a few additional spoonfuls of salsa. This batch made about 3 cups of the mixture.



One cup was served over brown rice for dinner, one cup will be eaten with more rice tomorrow for lunch, and the last mixture has a fate yet to be determined.
The longest part of dinner was waiting for the rice to cook. I love this recipe because it is versatile, inexpensive, and tasty. From this one recipe with minimal ingredients, I'm getting three different meals.

While I've discovered a lot of resources online for healthy recipes, Green Lite Bites was my first "find" for delicious and healthy recipes. It continues to be a valuable resource and cooking inspiration for me.

What are some of your favorite healthy recipe websites?

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, satisfying, and filling. It would have to be a "dinner for one" for me. My boy is a picky eater. Consider yourself lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my DH wouldn't eat this one either, but it looks totally delicous to me! I think I might try it this week. I'll let you know how it turns out! I'm also going to check out the website you mentioned. I'm always on the lookout for new recipe sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the stuff to try this at the store yesterday. I also checked out the website you mentioned and printed off a bunch of recipes to try. Thanks for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog!
    I know how that feels- coming home hungry and really no time to cook, no matter how much you love to.
    Great recipe!
    I LOVE www.myrecipes.com (it is associated with Cooking Light and a few other magazines)

    ReplyDelete